Cache Telnet error
Jeff Cooper
2004-12-21 16:12:46 UTC
I'm new to mumps and cache, so sorry if this has been covered. I'm trying
to start the cache server and when I do I get the following error message:

Cache Telnet error report:
CTELNETD startup error: bind(sock) failed
Reason: WSAENOTSOCK.

On intersystems website they suggest unregistering a dll file. I don't have
this dll file on my system, or have Mcafee installed.

Has anyone else had this problem and got it solved. My operating system is
Windows XP.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff Cooper
Luiz Papa
2004-12-21 17:32:41 UTC
Hi Jeff,

Do you have any other telnet server running on your computer? This would
cause this error.

Luiz Papa
Jeff Cooper
Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper
Denver Braughler
2004-12-21 18:19:47 UTC
Post by Jeff Cooper
Has anyone else had this problem and got it solved.
It is a FAQ on the ISC board.
I recommend that you post Cache' specific questions there.
The server is <news.InterSystems.com>.
%SYS
2004-12-21 21:40:18 UTC
Post by Denver Braughler
Post by Jeff Cooper
Has anyone else had this problem and got it solved.
It is a FAQ on the ISC board.
There is not a specific FAQ page on the ISC server. I think Denver
meants it is an often asked question on that forum.
Post by Denver Braughler
I recommend that you post Cache' specific questions there.
The server is <news.InterSystems.com>.
There are many Cache experts who monitor this forum (including Denver).
This ng is more accessible and dont lose history like the Intersystems one.

You are welcome to post your questions here.

Try changing the port that Cache's telnet service is listening on. From
the cube select Configuration Manager, Advanced Tab, Startup, Terminal,
Telnet, Port Number and change this to some socket that you know not
used. This will eliminate the possibility of a conflict with another
software listening on 23.

Other possibilities are the Cache service running with insufficient
privs, some firewall settings, some AV software (eg Panda).

You could post the output of running the command netstat -a, that might
give some clues.

%SYS
Denver Braughler
2004-12-21 23:05:15 UTC
Post by %SYS
This ng is more accessible and dont lose history like the Intersystems one.
In fact, Jeff had an answer over 4 hours ago from the archive of the ISC newsgroup.
So while you may have some concerns about using that group, certainly in this case it was the right place to go.
In general, I think it is the better place for questions that are specific to Cache'.

I don't know what accessibility issue you mean.
Anyone with a newsreader can access it free.

To access this comp.lang.mumps group, I have to have a username and password.
So I find that the ISC group is more accessible to me.
Post by %SYS
Other possibilities are the Cache service running with insufficient
privs, some firewall settings, some AV software (eg Panda).
His particular problem has been resolved.